courtesy of Vivian Cannelora
Acres of orchards
Today's Elderwood Drive in Pleasant Hill, stretching between Alhambra and Morello avenues, was where peach trees once stood on the 100 acres Antone and Sara Filomeo bought in Martinez in 1920. The land became part of the Pleasant Hill School District in 1937 and ultimately part of the city of Pleasant Hill. The hills beyond the house were planted with apricot trees.
Photo is courtesy of the Pleasant Hill Historical Society.