Did you know the University of San Francisco is the oldest college in the city? Or that it was once named after a saint? Check out the timeline below for the university's history.
Originally named St. Ignatius Academy, the University of San Francisco was the first university in San Francisco. The academy opened in October 1855 after Italian immigrant Father Anthony Maraschi, S.J., arrived in the city in 1854.
Borrowing $11,500 to build a Jesuit church and school on the south side of Market Street, Maraschi opened the school. Three students showed up for the first class.
In 1859, the state of California granted a charter to the university, and three years later, a new building for the was constructed on the same site. In June 1863, the first Bachelor of Arts degree was conferred.
In 1880, the academy moved to new buildings on Van Ness Avenue near the current site of the Civic Center. After the 1906, the academy moved temporarily to Hayes and Shrader Streets.
In 1909, property was acquired at Fulton Street and Parker Avenue, where the current campus is now located. While development of the property got off to a slow start, by 1927, to accommodate the growing student population, a Liberal Arts building was completed and the university was moved to its present location.
At its Diamond Jubilee in 1930, the St. Ignatius Academy officially changed its name to the University of San Francisco.
A male-only school for most
Today, the university has five academic divisions with a student population of roughly 8,700 as well as about 500 faculty members.
-- Compiled by Katie Nelson, Staff