Owners of the newly-built Casino M8trix said the city of San Jose has thwarted their plans for Tuesday's "soft'' opening of the casino, as well as its grand opening planned for later this week.
Last week, the casino's owners sued the city, asking a judge to force the police to sign off on its final licensing, clearing the way for the $50 million cardroom's opening.
But a Santa Clara County Superior Court judge denied the request for an expedited hearing to meet this week's scheduled debut, and no new court date has been set, said cardroom owner Eric Swallow.
Swallow said he has "no idea when the city will say when we can open'' and that he believes the owners have passed all the city's requirements. "Whatever I say, they will make sure it doesn't happen,'' said Swallow.
San Jose City Attorney Rick Doyle on Monday said the city is trying to work with the casino to open the ground floor "and go from there,'' and that Police Chief Chris Moore has said his department will try to ensure the club opens by month's end.
-- Tracy Seipel, Mercury News