PLEASANTON -- An escalator fire broke out inside a Sears department store at Stoneridge Mall Monday morning, dispatchers said.
About 10:20 a.m., crews responded to a mechanical fire on the escalator between the first and second floors, Battalion Chief Jeff Peters said. The fire was likely sparked by oil and dust catching fire upon startup of the device.
The store was open at the time of the blaze. About 20 people had evacuated and another eight people were still inside when fire crews arrived.
Firefighters contained the flames within about 15 minutes. An ambulance was called for one person with minor smoke inhalation, but the woman refused treatment, Peters said.
While the damage was contained to the escalator, the entire second floor was likely damaged by the "extremely pungent" smoke, Peters said. Estimated cost of damage was not immediately known.
Contact Erin Ivie at 925-847-2122. Follow her at Twitter.com/erin_ivie.