SAN BRUNO -- A ruptured Pacific Gas & Electric gas line prompted fear and evacuations Thursday in the neighborhood ravaged by the deadly 2010 pipe explosion, but the leak did not spark a fire or cause any injuries, the utility said.
PG&E officials said they were alerted that a San Bruno city contractor had clipped the two-inch line near Earl and Glenview drives while digging with a backhoe at 10:45 a.m. Utility spokeswoman Brittany Chord said utility crews had the gas shut down by 11:24 a.m. Though there was no fire, though authorities evacuated some homes out of precaution.
But the leak left residents of the neighborhood, which saw eight deaths and 38 homes destroyed when a PG&E pipe blew up their nearly two years ago, feeling shaken. Thursday's leak was at the same street intersection as the deadly blast.
"It's scary for this to have happened all over again," said Tina Pellegrini, a blast survivor, now back living in her rebuilt home. "I don't care if it's a two-inch line, to know this has happened again is scary."
Chord said the contractor was working on a city water line. Prior to the digging PG&E workers marked the location of the gas lines, she added.
Contact Joshua Melvin at 650-348-4335. Follow him at Twitter.com.