HERCULES -- A Saturday morning kitchen fire at a two-story Hercules residence caused $25,000 in damage to the home, fire officials said.
Firefighters were called about 9:40 a.m. to the home at 118 Bellflower Court where they discovered a kitchen fire. Four juveniles who live in the home had escaped unharmed prior to their arrival, said fire Battalion Chief Brian Lowry.
Firefighters from Rodeo Hercules, Pinole, Contra Costa, Crockett Carquinez and El Cerrito Fire departments had the blaze under control by 9:50 a.m., Lowry said.
Upon investigation, firefighters determined the juveniles were at home at the time of the fire and that the blaze started due to frying pan left unattended on the stove.
The pan, full of oil, ignited and the fire spread to the cabinets, Lowry said.
"Upon activation of the smoke alarm, one of the teenagers evacuated his siblings to safety before the fire threatened their egress," Lowry said. "The juveniles parents arrived shortly after the fire was extinguished."
The American Red Cross was called to assist the residents with temporary housing. The estimated monetary damage to the home is $25,000, Lowry said.
Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293 -2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.