MARTINEZ -- A teenage driver accused of killing a Concord man and his 9-year-old daughter on Concord's Treat Boulevard on April 7 will be arraigned in juvenile court Friday morning on vehicular manslaughter charges, an attorney for the victims' family said.
David Rosen has been charged as a minor with two counts of vehicular manslaughter in the deaths of 41-year-old Concord resident Solaiman Nuri and his 9-year-old daughter, Hadessa, said private attorney Michael Cardoza who represents Nuri's widow Stoorai Nuri and her surviving daughter Hannah.
The Nuri family advocated that Rosen, 17 and uninsured at the time of the collision, be charged as an adult, Cardoza said.
"The psychological pain that Mrs. Nuri is going through was exponentially compounded when she learned he was to be charged as a juvenile," Cardoza said. "When she learned that he was uninsured, it pushed her as close to the edge -- if not over the edge -- that someone can get."
The Contra Costa District Attorney's Office is not commenting on the case, citing laws surrounding juvenile defendants.
Solaiman Nuri and his daughters were riding their bikes on the sidewalk when all three were hit by an errant SUV. Hannah Nuri, 12 at the time, suffered minor injuries.
Hadessa Nuri was a student at Woodside Elementary School and a Girl Scout; Solaiman Nuri, a driver at the Port of Oakland, coached his daughters' soccer teams. He had immigrated to Concord from Afghanistan about a decade ago and was heavily involved in the local Afghan community.
There has been no evidence that Rosen was driving under the influence, or was using a cell phone, Cardoza said. Police said Rosen was speeding and had swerved his 2002 Cadillac Escalade to avoid hitting a car in front of him. He struck the bicyclists, sheared off a fire hydrant and careened into the brick facade of a medical office building next to the Contra Costa Fire District's training center.
In the weeks before the crash, Rosen had proudly posted pictures of his Escalade on social media sites. His friends said the Olympic High School student had only had his driver's license for about six months. Witnesses said he was traveling much faster than the 45 mph speed limit posted on Treat Boulevard.
The Concord police department presented the case to the DA's Office in June after a comprehensive, two-month investigation. Later that month, hundreds of people signed an online petition urging the prosecutor's office to take action.
Cardoza said the teen had been warned to slow down his driving several times before his arrest. Rosen's parents knew their son was driving uninsured, Cardoza said, and added that the Nuri family plans on suing them for negligence in civil court, but that the state of California puts limits on the amount of money they can seek.
"To speed down that congested road and not even brake, and to change lanes the way he changed lanes was grossly negligent, and that gross negligence took two lives," Cardoza said.
"The loss of a husband and family breadwinner, the loss of daughter, is catastrophic as it is, but it's now amplified by the lack of insurance and the lack of responsibility of this young man and his family," Cardoza said. "The Nuri family is appalled. Juvenile court cannot send him to state prison for taking two lives, so what are they left with?"
"The young man and his family will virtually walk away from this," Cardoza said.
Had the teen driver been charged as an adult, he would face up to 10 years in prison on each count of vehicular manslaughter if convicted.
Rosen's family could not be reached for comment.
Contact Malaika Fraley at 925-234-1684. Follow her at Twitter.com/malaikafraley.