A two-alarm fire damaged some businesses at a San Jose strip mall this morning, according to fire Capt. Mike Van Elgort.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at 175 South Capitol Avenue, a strip mall located near Alum Rock Avenue, after a fire alarm triggered, Van Elgort said. When firefighters arrived, they found the building's sprinklers had been set off and active fire in a restaurant.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the small amount of smoldering fire in the restaurant and then began a search for more flames in the other businesses. Firefighters found fire in the walls of two other businesses and knocked those down.
"The crews did an excellent job systematically" searching the area, Van Elgort said. Fire crews spent about one hour making sure no other businesses were affected.
Because the mall shares a common attic, "the whole strip mall could have been affected."
"This could have been a catastrophic fire to this location, had it gone to the attic," Van Elgort said.
Fire investigators are still trying to determine where and how the fire started.
Contact Mark Gomez at 408-920-5869. Follow him on Twitter @MarkMgomez