RODEO -- A Rodeo man and his dog escaped injury Thursday after discarded smoking materials caused a fire at his house, fire authorities said.
The fire broke out about 1:10 p.m. in a two-story home in the 400 block of Suisun Avenue, according to a news release from the Hercules-Rodeo Fire District.
Investigators determined the fire was started by smoking materials that were discarded on an elevated deck off the second floor. The fire spread to a propane barbecue that ignited and accelerated the fire into the home. Fire debris then fell from the deck and ruptured a plastic 55-gallon drum of waste oil, spilling the contents into the backyard.
A Contra Costa County hazardous materials team responded to the oil spill, firefighters said.
The man escaped through his front door. He was evaluated by emergency personnel on the scene and released. Rescuers found the dog on the second floor.
Crews from the Rodeo-Hercules, Pinole, Crockett, Carquinez, El Cerrito and Richmond Fire departments provided aid. Fire crews attacked the fire on the first and second floors simultaneously, officials said.
Fire officials urged residents to discard smoking materials in approved containers and to have at least one functioning smoke alarm on every floor and bedroom.
Rick Hurd covers public safety. Contact him at 925-945-4780 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.