Two people were hospitalized, one with burns to more than half the body, when a two-unit townhouse went up in flames Wednesday, fire personnel said.

An overheated electrical fan caused the fire on Moraine Court, Battalion Chief Bryan Craig said in a news release. Fire crews responded at 2:22 p.m. and arrived to find two people on the sidewalk. One of them, a man, suffered severe burns on 60 percent of his body, Craig said.

The gender of the other occupant was not released.

Smoke and flames shot out an upstairs bedroom, but early arriving units extinguished the blaze in about 15 minutes, Craig said.

No other people were found in the building. The two people were taken by ambulance to an undisclosed hospital.

Four engines, a ladder truck and two battalion chiefs were used in fighting the blaze.

Rick Hurd covers breaking news. Contact him at 925-945-4780 and follow him at Twitter.com/3rdERH.



Advertisement