EL SOBRANTE -- One firefighter was injured in a single-alarm electrical fire that left four people homeless early Wednesday morning.
The fire was reported about 12:26 a.m. at a two-story home in the 5800 block of Sherwood Forest Drive according to Contra Costa Fire Battalion Chief Len Goetsch. The fire was burning in the attic when firefighters arrived, and the people in the home had awakened to the smell of smoke and safely evacuated, Goetsch said. Firefighters managed to keep the fire contained to the attic and second floor, and salvaged family keepsakes and valuables from the first floor.
One firefighter suffered a minor arm injury and was taken to John Muir Medical Center, where he was treated and released, Goetsch said. The fire was under control within about 30 minutes
Red Cross officials responded to help the displaced residents find temporary housing.
The fire was caused by an electrical wiring failure, Goetsch said. He estimated damage at about $80,000.