Paul McCartney was so heavily rumored to be headlining this year's Outside Lands Festival, set for Aug. 9-11 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, it would've actually been a surprise if his name wasn't in the lineup.
Ditto for Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Here are, however, five nice surprises in the bill, which was announced Tuesday. For more information, visit www.sfoutsidelands.com.
1. Jurassic 5 -- The L.A. hip-hop troupe originally called it quits in 2007, but we sure welcome this reunion.
2. Nine Inch Nails -- Rumors were swirling that Green Day would be the festival's third headlining act. No knock on Green Day, but Nine Inch Nails definitely makes this lineup more attractive.
3. Willie Nelson -- People scratched their heads when they didn't see Nelson's name on the recently released Mountain Winery schedule. Now we know why.
4. D'Angelo -- The soul singer opened for Mary J. Blige late last year, and we didn't expect to see him back so soon. What will be an even greater surprise, however, is if he finally releases a new album before he reaches Golden Gate Park.
5. Hall & Oates -- This one didn't surprise you? You were expecting to spend part of your 2013 Outside Lands singing along to "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)" and "Private Eyes." Yeah, right.
Follow Jim Harrington at http://twitter.com/jimthecritic.