An apparent electrical fire damaged a home Wednesday night in San Rafael.

Firefighters, responding to an 8:30 p.m. call, found a residence at 106 Garden Ave. with light smoke and flames visible from the exterior. The fire had started in the rear area of the home in an exterior electrical switch and spread up the wall and into the bathroom and across a ceiling, fire officials said. Firefighters worked quickly to douse the flames and prevent further damage.

The family had evacuated the home prior to the firefighters' arrival, and no one was injured.

A total of 15 San Rafael firefighters responded to the incident. The fire is under investigation and appears to have been started by a faulty exterior electrical switch, officials said. The loss to the structure and contents was estimated at less than $10,000.