HAYWARD -- A man suffered a minor leg injury Thursday morning while trying to put out a fire inside a garage near downtown Hayward, a fire official said.
Firefighters were called just after 11:45 a.m. to the home at 539 Meek Ave. to the fire, which broke out in a detached garage connected to a single-story home off Alice Street, said Hayward Fire Department Public Information Officer LaShon Earnest.
The cause and origin of the fire were not immediately known and no other injuries were reported.
Before fire crews arrived, a man whose name was not released attempted to put the fire out and suffered a minor injury to his lower leg, Earnest said. The man refused treatment.
Hayward police also helped evacuate residents from two nearby houses before fire crews arrived at the home just east of D Street.
The one-alarm blaze was confined to the garage and was extinguished shortly after firefighters arrived. The fire destroyed the garage and caused about $25,000 in damage but did not spread to the home it was connected to or other nearby homes, Earnest said.
"The garage was loaded with car parts, propane and lumber so it may take a bit to determine the origin," Earnest said.
Anyone with information about the fire is asked to call 510-293-7000.
Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.