CLAYTON -- Mount Diablo State Park reopened Monday, a week after a blaze torched more than 3,100 acres, a park spokeswoman said.
The Morgan Fire, reported around 1 p.m. Sept. 8 off Morgan Territory Road, just southeast of Clayton, was fully contained at 3,111 acres as of 5:30 p.m. on Sept. 14, according to Cal Fire.
More than 75 homes were evacuated during the blaze that closed the park.
Although the park, including the campground, is now open, visitors are being asked to avoid any burned areas, said Danita Rodriguez, district superintendent for the Diablo Valley District of the state park system.
"They're off-limits. It's pretty clear where those areas are," Rodriguez said. "There are plenty of other hiking trails and people can still get up to the summit to get that great view."
The fire was heavily fueled by winds and dry vegetation and Cal Fire investigators revealed late last week that target shooting sparked the blaze. Officials have not released information on the exact location of the fire's origin.
More than 1,370 fire personnel from more than a dozen agencies responded during the course of the fire.
Contact Natalie Neysa Alund at 510-293-2469. Follow her at Twitter.com/nataliealund.