OAKLAND -- Maurice Barrow did not believe he would be convicted of first-degree murder for killing a 46-year-old man and injuring a 7-year-old during a shooting last year.
So, when a jury of seven men and five women found that Barrow was responsible for the killing, and convicted the 28-year-old of first-degree murder, he wasn't happy.
Barrow had to be restrained and removed from the courtroom Tuesday afternoon after he jumped from his seat and began yelling at the jury.
The jury found that Barrow was one of three men who fired at least 55 bullets toward a drug house on the 700 block of Sycamore Street in West Oakland. The shooting was sparked, a prosecutor theorized, after Barrow was forced to move his drug selling operation off the block.
Barrow was removed from the courtroom before hearing that he was also found guilty of two attempted murders, two assaults with a semi-automatic firearm and being a felon in possession of a gun.
As a result, Barrow will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison when he is sentenced on Nov. 22.
Though Barrow and his two accomplices created a war zone on the residential street, they failed to kill their targets. Instead, the three shooters killed Otis Lee Key, 46, and injured a 7-year-old.
The trio also injured the self-described bouncer of the drug house who testified during the trial and identified Barrow as one of the shooters.
Deputy district attorney Georgia Santos also used a surveillance video that recorded the three men walking toward the drug house. Although the shooting is not captured in the video, it provided the jury with images of three men walking toward the house and then running from it.
A key aspect of that video was a man that Santos said was Barrow who appeared to have an injured right arm. Three days before the shooting on Sycamore Street, Barrow was shot in the right arm in an unrelated incident.
"Our office is very pleased that the jury found Maurice Barrow guilty of all the charges," Santos said. "This was a senseless and violent crime."
David Kelvin, Barrow's defense attorney, said the jury convicted the wrong man.
"They convicted an innocent man," Kelvin said. "That's justice?"
Kelvin argued during the trial that the identification of his client was not truthful because it came from a convicted drug dealer who received a deal from federal authorities after he agreed to cooperate with Oakland police.
Kelvin also gave the jury phone records to a phone that, while not in Barrow's name, was the cell phone he used. Those records show the phone in use in Vallejo at the time of the shooting.
Santos, however, argued there was no evidence that could prove Barrow was with the phone and said that Barrow likely had a friend use the phone in Vallejo at the time of the shooting to create an alibi.
Danny Thong, another man suspected to be part of the trio and who was charged with murder, had his case dismissed after a judge ruled there was not enough evidence to proceed.
A third suspect has never been found.