SANTA ROSA -- Sheriff's officials in Northern California say their preliminary review shows a deputy who shot and killed a 13-year-old boy did not violate department procedure governing the use of deadly force.

The October shooting of Andy Lopez in Santa Rosa by Sonoma County Sheriff's Deputy Erick Gelhaus has sparked numerous protests. The Press Democrat of Santa Rosa reports (http://bit.ly/JeHmR7) two people were arrested Tuesday during demonstrations against the shooting.

Assistant Sheriff Lorenzo Duenas says the review by the sheriff's office was based on an initial briefing by Santa Rosa police, who are looking into whether criminal charges are warranted against Gelhaus. The review is ongoing, but Duenas says so far there is no indication Gelhaus failed to follow procedures.

Gelhaus has told investigators he believed the BB gun Lopez was carrying when he was shot was an assault rifle.

------

Information from: The Santa Rosa Press Democrat, http://www.pressdemocrat.com