OAKLAND -- Two fires Monday night and Tuesday morning, one in the Fruitvale district and the other near Lake Merritt, left 15 people homeless, officials said.

The residents at both fires were able to get out on their own. One person was treated at one scene for smoke inhalation but was not hospitalized.

Eight adults at an apartment complex in the 1600 block of Fifth Avenue were displaced when a candle being used for lighting ignited a blaze in one of the units about 12:43 a.m., officials said.

The fire spread to two other apartments and a liquor store below one of the apartments before 22 firefighters brought it under control about 2 a.m., said acting Battalion Chief Marshall McKee. No residents or firefighters were hurt.

The three apartments were heavily damaged and deemed uninhabitable. The liquor store sustained minor damage and was expected to open Tuesday. McKee placed the total damage at $200,000.

About 11:10 p.m. Monday a fire believed to have been started by discarded cigarette butts in some trash outside a house in the 3000 block of Logan Street in the Fruitvale district spread into the home, leaving six adults and a child homeless, officials said.

It took 17 firefighters 40 minutes to control the blaze, McKee said. He estimated damage to be $150,000.

The only reported injury was to a woman living at the house who was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The Red Cross was assisting all of those displaced.