OAKLAND -- A four-time felon already being prosecuted in a knife and sexual assault of a 17-year-old girl was recently charged in the shooting death of an acquaintance last July, authorities said.
The suspect, Paul Booker, 27, of Oakland, was arrested in the June 2013 assault on the girl, less than an hour after the fatal shooting. But police did not know at the time he was the suspected gunman and did not have enough evidence to charge him with the killing until recently.
Booker was charged Dec. 30 with murder in the July 9, 2013, killing of Steven Cotton, 37, of Oakland, gunned down about 2:30 p.m. in the 2300 block of 88th Avenue, near his home, after the pair got into a fight, police said. He is also charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm. Booker has denied involvement in the killing, police said
Officer Jason Andersen said the two men had been feuding but would not say what it was about.
Police said Booker fled the scene after the shooting. But he was arrested 45 minutes later on a probable cause warrant accusing him of the attack on the girl, which happened June 3. He was formally charged in the attack on the girl on July 11.
Soon after Cotton's death, police received information that Booker was the suspected killer, Andersen said.
Since he was already in custody on the other case, authorities had time to find witnesses to the shooting and confirm that DNA evidence found at the scene was Booker's, Andersen said.
In the case involving the 17-year-old girl, police said Booker abducted her June 3, 2013, from a car in East Oakland, wanting her work as a prostitute. The girl, who was acquainted with Booker, was taken to a house in East Oakland, where she was pistol-whipped, sexually assaulted and had her breasts and other body areas sliced with a hunting knife, authorities said.
Officer Frank Bonifacio said the girl was able to escape the house while Booker was away by breaking a window and running naked to a nearby home for help. The girl was later relocated to another city.
Booker is charged with eight felonies in connection with the suspected attack on the girl. They include kidnapping for ransom, assault with a firearm, torture, sexual penetration by foreign object, assault with a deadly weapon, attempted soliciting a minor to prostitute, attempted pandering by procuring and attempted human trafficking of a minor for commercial sex.
He has denied involvement in the case, police said.
In each case he is accused for sentencing enhancement purposes of having four prior felony convictions. They are carjacking in 2007, possession of a firearm by a felon in June 2102, and two for possession of a controlled substance in 2006 and 2012.
He has pleaded not guilty in the sex case and is scheduled to enter a plea in the murder case on Thursday. He is being held without bail and faces up to 55 years to life in prison if convicted of all counts in the two cases, authorities said.