SAN JOSE -- A man safely escaped from a burning portable building this morning after waking up to a smoke-filled room, according to a fire captain.
The man told firefighters he "was lucky to get out" of the portable structure located behind a commercial drywall business on the 2400 block of San Antonio Street, according to San Jose Fire Capt. Rob Brown.
The two-alarm blaze destroyed the portable building and threatened another structure, Brown said.
Firefighters responded to the blaze at 5:45 a.m. and had it knocked down in about 30 minutes.
The man was treated on scene for smoke inhalation but refused to go to the hospital, Brown said.
The American Red Cross Silicon Valley is helping the man with clothing and housing assistance, Brown said.