SAN JOSE -- A woman and her infant son escaped from a burning apartment Tuesday morning after a candle sparked a fire, according to fire officials.
The woman suffered minor burn injuries and smoke inhalation and was taken to a hospital, San Jose fire Capt. Cleo Doss said. The infant was also admitted to a hospital for precautionary reasons.
The woman told San Jose firefighters she lit a candle and fell asleep inside her downstairs apartment in the 100 block Duane Street, located near South Almaden Avenue and Interstate 280. When the woman woke at about 10:30 a.m., the apartment was on fire.
"She attempted to extinguish the fire and ended up with minor burns and smoke inhalation," Doss said. "She grabbed her infant son and ran out of the house."
A neighbor rushed into the house to search for others and suffered smoke inhalation, Doss said. The neighbor was treated at the scene and released.
A good Samaritan visiting the neighborhood grabbed a garden hose and "kept the fire in check" until fire crews arrived at 10:36 a.m., Doss said. The blaze was mostly contained to the living room and hallway.
The mother and son have been displaced, Doss said. The American Red Cross Silicon Valley was called to assist the family, Doss said.