SUNNYVALE -- A man who ingested an unknown hallucinogenic was severely burned late Monday after he climbed a utility pole and was shocked by electrical wires he grabbed, police said.

The man, who has not been identified, was still in critical condition in an area hospital Tuesday, according to Sunnyvale police. Around 11:49 p.m., officers and fire crews responded to a reported vegetation fire on the Caltrain right-of-way behind the 100 block of Elm Court.

While extinguishing the fire, crews found a man lying on the ground, unconscious and suffering from severe burns, police said.

Officers later learned the man had ingested hallucinogenic drugs and climbed an electrical pole on the Caltrain right of way. The man then apparently grabbed some of the electrical wires, shocking himself and igniting the vegetation fire.

No one else was injured and the fire did not cause any damage.

Follow Katie Nelson at Twitter.com/katienelson210.



Advertisement