SANTA CLARA -- Left tackle Joe Staley had more business to tend to Thursday than just showing up for the 49ers' ribbon-cutting ceremony at Levi's Stadium. Staley also signed a two-year extension through 2019.
Well aware that tight end Vernon Davis and guard Alex Boone also want new deals, Staley declined to compare his situation with theirs, especially in terms of his showing up throughout offseason workouts while Boone and Davis boycotted them.
"Every single contract situation is different," Staley said on a media conference call. "What's right for me may not be right for someone else."
Staley, 29, knew he had that contract waiting to sign upon exiting the stadium.
Staley said his contract negotiations were "an ongoing thing" and that he deserved a new deal because he's a "different player" from what he was in 2009, when he signed his last extension (six years, $43 million) after only two seasons in the league.
"In today's NFL, it is rare for a player to play his entire career with one team," general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement. "With this extension, Joe will likely be a 49er for life."
Staley said playing for one team his entire career is a goal he set as a rookie, along with winning a Super Bowl. That championship goal is something he thinks the 49ers must pursue with "an extra sense of urgency" upon reporting to training camp next Wednesday.
Staley's primary job duty could remain the same throughout the remainder of his career: protect Colin Kaepernick, who signed his own extension last month (six years, $126 million).
"I was super ecstatic when I saw he was extended," Staley said. " ... To protect his blind side for the years to come is something I take great pride in."
Staley also vouched for Boone and Davis as "very talented players." Both have two years remaining on their contracts.
"Alex Boone is someone I have the utmost respect for and hope we can play our entire career together," Staley said. "It's his situation, and whatever he wants to get done, I have confidence he and the Niners will work it out."
Staley complimented 49ers ownership earlier in the day as to how the $1.3 billion stadium might help the team obtain more quality players.
"It translates a lot," Staley said of the stadium, "because of what it can do in free agency. We have the ideal weather, facilities, ownership, a great team, great players.
"You know the organization will do what it can to take care of players."
Staley is coming off his third straight Pro Bowl season. He's been a starter since his 2007 rookie year, when the 49ers drafted him in the first round out of Central Michigan.
Staley was due to make $2.7 million in salary this season.
"He is a three-time (Pro Bowler) and core member of our football team," Baalke continued. "His commitment and professionalism have been great assets to our team and our community. This extension reflects our philosophy of investing in our core players."
Joining Lattimore on the non-football-injury list are wide receiver Bruce Ellington, center Marcus Martin, running back Trey Millard, defensive back Keith Reaser and guard Brandon Thomas. The latter three are recovering from knee surgeries, while Lattimore is attempting to do so as well from his 2012 injury.
The reasons for Ellington and Martin going on NFI are undisclosed.
Outside linebacker Aaron Lynch (hamstring) and defensive tackle Kaleb Ramsey (undisclosed) were placed on the physically-unable-to-perform list.
Rookies and first-year players reported Wednesday.