RICHMOND -- A one-alarm kitchen fire at a Richmond apartment sent a man and child to the hospital and displaced nine people from their home early this morning, a fire battalion chief said Tuesday.

French fries cooking on a stove inside an apartment in the 700 block of Seventh Street appear to have led to the fire that started around 2:50 a.m., Richmond fire Battalion Chief Merlin Turner said.

The five adults and four children living in the home were able to evacuate by the time fire crews arrived on the scene, as well as several other residents from apartments inside the same building.

One resident needed stitches after cutting his hand while jumping out of a window to escape the fire, while a child in a neighboring apartment suffered smoke inhalation, Turner said.

Both went to hospitals for treatment of their injuries.

Firefighters stopped the blaze from spreading beyond the apartment's kitchen and had it under control in about 20 minutes, the battalion chief said.

The American Red Cross responded to provide housing assistance to the displaced residents.

Turner said the fire caused about $50,000 in damage to the home.



Copyright © 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. Republication, re-transmission or reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

Advertisement