A Corte Madera man faces controlled substance and child endangerment charges after a marijuana cooking process allegedly set his apartment on fire.
Central Marin Police said Brian Holland, 29, was attempting to convert marijuana into a wax form late Saturday, when butane used for the process ignited from being too close to the heater pilot light. Marijuana wax is becoming increasingly popular, as it concentrates THC -- the intoxicating compound in marijuana -- and makes it significantly more potent than smoking marijuana in its plant form.
Holland was taken to a local hospital to be treated for a minor burn on his arm suffered in the fire. Holland's two children, 2 and 4, were asleep in a bedroom adjacent to the living room where the fire started, but were not hurt, authorities said.
Holland's mother was also in the apartment, authorities said.
Upon being released, Holland was booked at Marin County Jail on two counts of child endangerment and one count of manufacturing a controlled substance.
Corte Madera Fire Department received the call about the fire, at an apartment complex at 777 Meadowsweet Drive, shortly before 9 p.m. But the fire had been put out by residents with a fire extinguisher before responders arrived, leaving only a burn mark on the living room carpet, fire officials said.
Police reportedly seized more than 2 pounds of marijuana, 24 cans of butane, and other materials used for the conversion process. ------ (c)2014 The Marin Independent Journal (Novato, Calif.) Visit The Marin Independent Journal (Novato, Calif.) at www.marinij.com