CUPERTINO -- A two-alarm fire late Wednesday night in a third-floor elevator room at the Vallco Shopping Mall was quickly extinguished, but a restaurant sustained water damage, according to the Santa Clara County Fire Department.
Santa Clara County firefighters responded to the mall at 10:30 p.m. after receiving reports of smoke and flames in a hallway, according to Battalion Chief Carol Miller.
Firefighters determined a motor that runs a hydraulic elevator pump overheated and sparked the blaze in a third-floor elevator room, Miller said. The mall's sprinkler system was triggered and minimized the fire damage to the elevator room.
However, oil from the pump and water leaked down to the second and first floors of the mall, Miller said. The Dynasty Seafood Restaurant suffered damage and was closed Thursday. It is not immediately known when the restaurant will reopen, Miller said.
No other business were closed because of the water and oil leak.
The county fire marshal and hazardous materials team was at the mall Thursday to finish the cleanup.
Contact Mark Gomez at 408-920-5869. Follow him at Twitter.com/markmgomez.