SAN JOSE -- A brawl involving up to 30 people ended early Sunday with the city's first slaying since a bloody stretch in August that produced eight killings in 11 days.
According to authorities, San Jose police officers found the victim, a man who had been stabbed, near Monterey Highway and Bernal Road around 1 a.m. They were responding to reports of a large fight in the area, said San Jose police Officer Albert Morales. The man was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, becoming the city's 34th homicide victim of 2012. His name was not released.
The killing doesn't appear gang-related, but the events leading up to the brawl and stabbing remain under investigation, said Morales. Police didn't report any arrests and didn't release any suspect information.
San Jose saw eight people killed in 11 days in August, one of its bloodiest stretches ever. During the same period, police reported six nonfatal shootings. The run of violence provoked a community outcry and discussion of how the city should deal with the surge in violence.
Until Sunday morning, however, there had not been a killing since the night of Aug. 24, when a young man was fatally shot.
Contact Joshua Melvin at 650-348-4335. Follow him at Twitter.com/melvinreport.