WAC BASKETBALL PREVIEW MEN
1. Utah State: Thanks to a No. 317 Sagarin strength of schedule, Aggies (9-1) are nation's lowest-rated one-loss team.
2. New Mexico State: Sim Bhullar, a 7-foot-5, 360-pound freshman, is averaging 13.8 points for Aggies (6-6) the past five games.
3. Denver: Losses to Cal, Stanford highlight challenging schedule for Pioneers (4-6). Chris Udofia among WAC's top players.
4. Louisiana Tech: Soph guard Raheem Appleby has a pair of 30-point games for the Bulldogs (9-3).
5. Texas-Arlington: Defending Southland champs (5-3), with losses to Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, average 21 turnovers.
6. Idaho: Center Kyle Barone, forward Stephen Madison providing the Vandals (4-6) a combined 31 points per game.
7. San Jose State: Guard James Kinney, Spartans (5-5) expect improvement after 1-13 WAC finish a year ago.
8. Texas-San Antonio: Roadrunners (4-6) rely on high-scoring senior guards Kannon Burrage and Michael Hale III.
9. Seattle: Turnover-plagued Redhawks (5-5) lost by 40 at Virginia, then fell at home to winless Jackson State.
10. Texas State: A big man with touch: 6-10 Matt Staff is 34 for 34 at the free throw line for the Bobcats (4-8).
-- JEFF FARAUDO
1. Louisiana Tech: After losing to South Carolina, Rutgers and Texas A&M the Lady Techsters (4-6) should feast on WAC schools.
3. Denver: The Pioneers (5-6) are battle-tested by a tough nonconference schedule with sophomore guard Morgan Van Riper-Rose leading the way.
4. New Mexico State: With a 5-1 home record the Aggies have looked better than predicted behind Danesia Williamson (14.2 ppg).
5. Texas State: The Bobcats (6-4) lack a quality nonconference win but lead WAC in scoring, rebounding, turnover margin and assist-turnover ratio.
6. Utah State: The Aggies (3-8) have yet to fulfill promise as preseason favorites but senior guard Devyn Christensen (22.5 ppg) is proving she is WAC's premier player.
7. Idaho: The Vandals (3-8) are led by first-team all-conference returner Alyssa Charlston (13.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg).
8. San Jose State: The struggling Spartans enter WAC play on a five-game losing streak, although Ta'Rea Cunnigan averages 19.6 ppg
9: Texas-San Antonio: After the Roadrunners won five of their first six, they lost four of the next five against average Division 1 schools.
10. Texas-Arlington: The Mavericks (2-8) are a bad team in a mediocre league without any player averaging in double figures.
-- Elliott Almond