The big question entering Monday's game between the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers was whether the Dolphins could shake the national controversy that's hung over the team and play winning football.
They couldn't. Now everyone will watch for signs of a major meltdown.
Two long-standing issues -- sacks and turnovers -- victimized the reeling Dolphins and sent them to a humiliating 22-19 loss against the previously winless Buccaneers in Tampa, Fla.
Quarterback Ryan Tannehill, with a chance to lead a game-tying or game-winning drive, was sacked twice and threw an interception in the final two minutes.
Mike Glennon threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tackle Donald Penn and led a long fourth-quarter TD drive to put the Buccaneers (1-8) ahead for good.
Now comes more pain. The Dolphins (4-5), who thought they had a chance to re-enter the playoff picture with a victory, have lost four of their last five games after a 3-0 start. And they go home to an NFL investigation into the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito situation.
The last two weeks or so have been what Dolphins owner Steve Ross called a "nightmare."
The battle between two of the most troubled teams in Florida this season (yes, that includes 1-8 Jacksonville) was prefaced by Ross addressing the bizarre situation involving Incognito and Martin.
Incognito has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and stands accused of harassing teammate Martin, who is away from the team with a "non-football illness."
"The most important thing is we care about Jonathan Martin, No. 1," Ross said, omitting any mention of caring about Incognito.
Ross announced he was forming two committees to evaluate the current situation and make recommendations for the future. He said he plans to meet with Martin on Wednesday at an undisclosed location and that he has been in touch with the tackle through text messages.
"I'd like to hear from him what had happened, why he felt that way and what we did and what we could have done to prevent something like this from happening," Ross said.
The NFL is investigating Martin's allegations against teammates, including Incognito. Martin is with his family in California to undergo counseling for emotional issues.
A special investigator for the league will determine whether Incognito harassed Martin, and whether the Dolphins mishandled the matter.
Broncos: An MRI exam showed no further damage to quarterback Peyton Manning's right ankle, and interim coach Jack Del Rio said Manning would play Sunday against Kansas City. San Diego's Corey Liuget dove at Manning's ankles after a completed pass in the closing minutes of Denver's 28-20 win over the Chargers on Sunday. Del Rio said the Broncos have sent replays to the league office, contending the hit was illegal.
Titans: Quarterback Jake Locker will miss the rest of the season with a right-foot injury, leaving Tennessee trying to rally with Ryan Fitzpatrick.
Seahawks: Wide receiver Percy Harvin was added to the 53-man roster. Seattle had to add Harvin to the active roster or he would have had to remain on the physically-unable-to-perform list for the remainder of the season. Harvin is recovering from offseason hip surgery.
Jets: Tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was reinstated to the active roster. Winslow was suspended by the NFL last month for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.