Morning Glory Muffins
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and shredded
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup sweetened, shredded coconut, plus 1/4 cup for the topping
1/2 cup dark raisins
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 16 standard muffin cups with paper liners.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon together.
3. Combine the carrots and apple in a small bowl.
4. Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat oil and sugar until light in color, about 2 minutes. One at a time, add eggs, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla. On low speed, add the flour mixture in thirds, alternating with carrot mixture, mixing just until combined after each addition. Mix in 2/3 cup coconut and the raisins.
5. Using a 1/4-cup scoop, transfer the batter to the 16 muffin cups. Sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove muffins and let cool on a wire rack. Muffins may be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 day.
-- Karen Mitchell and Sarah Mitchell Hansen, "The Model Bakery Cookbook" (Chronicle Books, $35, 208 pages)