OAKLAND -- Top city officials Tuesday condemned the hacker group Anonymous for releasing their home addresses, phone numbers and other information, but said the city's web system had not been hacked.

"This is all public information that is already available online," said mayoral spokeswoman Sue Piper. "The mayor has never made her address secret."

The hacker group, which last year infiltrated a BART website, released a statement on its website admonishing the city for its treatment of Occupy Oakland demonstrators. It also posted personal contact information for Mayor Jean Quan, City Administrator Deanna Santana, police Chief Howard Jordan, City Attorney Barbara Parker and seven City Council members.

It's unclear when the information first appeared online. Although the posting Tuesday morning to the file-sharing website Pastebin.com quickly made headlines, Councilwoman Pat Kernighan said a friend directed her to what appears to be an identical post uploaded to the same website on Jan. 28 -- the same day that Occupy supporters clashed with police, who blocked them from taking over a vacant city convention center.

Several council members said they received pre-dawn and early morning phone calls Tuesday from people who had apparently gotten their phone numbers from the Anonymous post.

"Anonymous is encouraging people to harm and harass public figures and their families in their homes," Kernighan said. "That sort of incitement to violence is really despicable."


Advertisement

Only Councilwoman Rebecca Kaplan was spared from intrusion. The site only posted her public office number along with the message: "Thank you for your support and being a true leader in the community."

Councilman Ignacio De La Fuente, who has urged stronger police response to Occupy demonstrations, received particularly harsh treatment. In addition to his home phone, the group referenced his son's rape conviction taken word-for-word from Wikipedia.

"For people who like to talk about their rights, obviously they don't care about anyone else's rights," De La Fuente said.

The information posted included telephone numbers, family relations, website data and biographical facts, almost all of which are readily available online and from paid information-gathering sites.

Not all of the information was accurate. The post incorrectly stated that Councilwomen Libby Schaaf and Jane Brunner were related.

Jordan, whose home address was disclosed, called Anonymous' action "cyberterrorism."

"I don't want someone waiting at my front door," he said. "It's a distraction for myself. I don't feel well about it."

Anonymous took much stronger action against BART last year after the agency shut off cellphone service in its tunnels to thwart protesters. The group broke into servers and published personal information about more than 2,000 users of the myBART.org website. Hackers also posted personal information about BART police officers and explicit photos of a former BART spokesman, who had suggested that BART shut off cellphone service.

Anonymous has threatened city leaders previously over their treatment of Occupy Oakland, posting a threatening video in November and releasing personal information about the city administrator last month. Occupy supporters had warned that city leaders could face Anonymous' wrath if they didn't allow protesters to take over the Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center on Jan. 28.

In its statement, Anonymous denounced police violence against Occupy protesters, and also criticized the city for budget cuts that it says have resulted in school closures and reductions in city services such as libraries.

"The people on this list are supposed to represent the best of what the City of Oakland has to offer. If they are the best, why is there so much trouble within the Police Department, and in the City of Oakland?" the statement says. "We are shocked and disgusted by your behavior. Before you commit atrocities against innocent people again, think twice. You should have expected us."

Contact Matthew Artz at 510-208-6435.