3 pounds russet potatoes, divided
11/2 tablespoons matzo meal
1 large yellow onion
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
1. Cut 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes into quarters; boil in salted water until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth. Combine mashed potato with matzo meal.
2. Grate the remaining potatoes and onion, and mix to combine. Using cheesecloth or a fine strainer, squeeze out any liquid. Transfer grated mixture to a large bowl.
3. Add eggs, salt, pepper and mashed potatoes; stir well to combine. Form into patties, 3 inches across and 1/4- to 1/2-inch high.
4. Heat 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a heavy frying pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add latkes in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden brown on one side, 3 to 4 minutes, adjusting heat if they brown too quickly. Flip and cook until golden brown on the second side, 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Drain the latkes on paper towels, seasoning with salt while still hot. Serve with applesauce and sour cream.
-- Leo Beckerman, Wise Sons Deli, www.beyondbubbie.com