Apple Whisky Cake
Serves 12 or more
4 Pink Lady, Rome Beauty, Cortland or Gravenstein apples
1/3 cup whisky, bourbon or brandy
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Whipped cream, garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a 9-by-13-inch pan. Line bottom and sides with parchment that extends beyond the pan. Butter the parchment.
2. Peel, quarter and dice the apples. In a bowl, toss the apples and whisky.
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugars on medium-high until thick and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add butter; beat until incorporated. On low speed, add dry ingredients. Stir in apples and whisky. Scrape batter into pan and spread evenly.
5. Bake until cake is deep golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly in pan, 15 minutes, then remove cake by lifting the parchment. Cool slightly on a wire rack before cutting into slices. Serve with big dollops of whipped cream.
-- Kim Laidlaw, "Williams-Sonoma Home Baked Comfort" (Weldon Owen, $34.95, 224 pages)