Roasted Beet Ravioli with Nettle Puree
1/4 cup butter
32 beet ravioli (see recipe)
1/2 cup stinging nettle puree (see recipe)
1/2 cup caramelized walnuts (see recipe)
4 ounces aged Capricious goat cheese, shaved
Heat butter slowly in a small saucepan until it begins to brown. Remove from heat. Cook beet ravioli in salted boiling water until done, about 2 minutes; drain. Toss hot ravioli with browned butter. Serve topped with nettle puree, caramelized walnuts and goat cheese.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
12 ounces red beets
3 ounces ricotta cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
1 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
Egg wash: 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
1. Put flour and 1 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor. With machine running, add eggs one at a time. Add oil. Process just until dough comes together, about 10 seconds. Add a few drops of cool water if dough is too dry.
2. Transfer dough to a floured board; knead 5 minutes. Divide into 4 balls; let rest at least 30 minutes, covered, at room temperature.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap beets in foil; roast until tender, then peel.
4. Grate cooled beets with a box grater. Combine with ricotta, breadcrumbs, parsley and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
5. Roll out pasta using thinnest setting on roller. Cut using 2 3/4-inch fluted cookie cutter. Brush each circle with egg wash. Place a heaping mound of beet mixture in the center of each; fold in half, squeezing out excess air, to make half moons. Beet should be visible through pasta. Place on a floured surface under damp paper towels until ready to cook.
Makes 1 cup
3 1/2 ounces cleaned stinging nettles
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Blanch nettles in boiling water until bright green, about 30 seconds. Shock in ice water, drain and squeeze dry. Puree all ingredients in blender until smooth.
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons honey
1/2 cup walnut halves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine sugar and boiling water, stirring until dissolved. Add honey. Add nuts; stir to coat. Drain excess liquid. Bake nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet until golden. Using a fork, spread nuts apart before they cool.
-- Taste Catering, San Francisco