PINOLE -- A bell that summoned generations of students from Pinole and Hercules to school has been restored and will be dedicated at a ceremony at 10 a.m. Jan. 25 adjacent to the multipurpose room at Collins Elementary School, 1224 Pinole Valley Road.

The bell, more than a century old, was a fixture at Pinole-Hercules School #1 from 1906 to 1966, when the school was replaced by newer facilities for the growing area.

The original school was demolished in 1968, according to the Pinole Historical Society, but the bell was saved and the West Contra Costa School District recently restored it.

The bell was installed at Collins Elementary last year. The historical society ceremony will dedicate the bell and a commemorative plaque at a brief ceremony. Refreshments will be served.

For more details contact the society at 510-724-9507 or info@pinolehistoricalsociety.org.



Advertisement